The 2020 elections are not quite over yet. Three Corpus Christi races and one Mathis race qualified for runoff elections.
Find out what’s on the ballot, polling locations on polling day, and other information for voters in Nueces and San Patricio counties.
What are the deadlines?
The last day you could register to vote was Monday November 16th.
In Corpus Christi, the early voting starts on Saturday, December 5th and ends on Friday, December 11th.
In Mathis, the early voting starts on Monday, November 30th and ends on Friday, December 11th.
If you are voting by post, your request for postal voting must be received by Friday, December 4th (not postmarked). Postal voting papers must be received by Tuesday, December 15th.
Election day is Tuesday, December 15th.
Am I registered to vote?
You can check the Texas Foreign Minister’s website to see if you are registered to vote. You will need some basic information such as your name, date of birth, and county to check your status.
What should I vote for?
State law requires that registered voters must provide one of seven types of identification in order to vote in person at a polling station. They include:
- Texas driver’s license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
- Texas identity card issued by DPS
- Texas License to Carry a DPS Issued Pistol
- United States military ID that includes the person’s photo
- United States Citizenship Certificate with the person’s photo
- United States passport
Can I vote by email?
The state of Texas only allows registered voters to vote by mail under certain circumstances. To vote by mail in Texas, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be 65 years of age or older
- be deactivated
- Be outside the county on election day and during the early voting period by appearing in person
- be incarcerated in jail but otherwise eligible
If you meet any of these requirements and are registered to vote, download the application from the Texas Foreign Minister’s website at https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/forms/5-15f.pdf and submit it via Email the election administrator in your county by Friday December 5th.
County Clerk Kara Sands
901 Leopard St., 2nd floor, room 201
Corpus Christi, TX 78401
San Patricio County
Election Administrator Pamela Hill
410 W. Market St.
Sinton, TX 78387
As soon as you have received and filled out your postal voting slip, you can put it in the mail. Ballot papers must be received by 7:00 p.m. on December 15 (there are different rules for military and overseas voters, see the Texas Foreign Minister’s website for more information).
I didn’t vote in the November 3rd election. Can I still vote in the runoff ballot?
Yes, you can vote in the runoff election on December 15th, even if you did not vote in the November 3rd election. However, you must be registered to vote in any of the areas where runoff elections are taking place.
How come the candidates aren’t labeled Republicans or Democrats?
City races are considered impartial, so candidates do not run under party affiliation.
Voting locations on election day
Body of Christ
Voters registered for Corpus Christi can cast their votes in the following voting centers from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 15 (subject to change):
- Ben F. McDonald Public Library, 4044 Greenwood Drive
- Corpus Christi Christian Fellowship, 6602 S. Staples St.
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Center, 5151 McArdle Road
- Ethel Eyerly Senior Center, 654 Graham Road
- Fannin Elementary, 2730 Gollihar Road
- Hamlin Middle School, 3900 Hamlin Drive
- Hilltop Community Center, 11425 Leopard St.
- John F. Kennedy Elementary School (atrium), 1102 Villarreal Road
- La Retama Central Library, 805 Comanche St.
- Lindale Senior Center, 3135 Swantner St.
- Magee Elementary (star cultivation), 4201 Calallen Drive
- Mireles Elementary, 7658 Cimarron Blvd.
- Montclair Elementary, 5241 Kentner St.
- Oak Park Recreation Center, 842 Erwin Ave.
- Padre Island Baptist Church, 14253 S. Padre Island Drive
- Parkway Presbyterian Church, 3707 Santa Fe St.
- Schanen Elementary, 5717 Killarmet Drive
- Smith Elementary, 6902 Williams Drive
- The Valencia, 6110 Ayers St.
- Veterans Memorial High School, 3750 Cimarron Blvd.
- Zavala Senior Center, 510 Osage St.
Mathis-registered voters can cast their vote from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 15, at the Mathis Town Hall annex, 401 E. San Patricio Ave., Mathis.
What’s on the ballot?
* indicates the incumbent
City of Corpus Christi
- * Joe McComb
- Paulette Guajardo
City Council District 1
- Rachel Ann Caballero
- Billy Lerma
City Council District 4
- * Greg Smith
- Kaylynn Paxson
San Patricio County
City of Mathis
Council member 4th place
- Mary Martinez Olivarez
- Reynaldo Herrera