Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect the latest power outage numbers and additional utility recovery resources.
Hurricane Hanna landed at 5 p.m. on Saturday, causing power outages and flooding in the area.
AEP Texas made significant progress on Sunday in restoring power to customers who ran out of power after Hurricane Hanna landed as a Category 1 storm on Saturday. The crews have supplied more than 74 percent of all affected customers with electricity again.
AEP Texas said 16,730 customers in the Rio Grande Valley districts were without power at 6 a.m. on Wednesday. That number has fallen from a high of 152,400 early Sunday morning.
Rio Grande Valley District
- Pharr – 1,100; ETR: Friday, July 31st, 9 p.m.
- McAllen – 1,350; ETR: Friday, July 31st, 9 p.m.
- mission – 2,800; ETR: Saturday, August 1st, 9pm
- Harlingen – 1,265; ETR: Friday, July 31st, 9 p.m.
- San Benito – 4,000; ETR: UPDATED Friday, July 31st, 9pm
- Weslaco – 3,600; ETR: UPDATED Saturday August 1st, 9pm
- Edinburgh – 2,000; ETR: Saturday, August 1st, 9pm
- Rio Grande City – 600; ETR: Friday, July 31st, 9 p.m.
The Estimated Time for Restorations (ETRs) are projections. For some customers, power may be restored sooner.
Hurricane Hanna: See map of blackouts in your area
LIVE UPDATES:Hurricane Hanna coverage in the Corpus Christi area
What if the power goes out?
Approximately 2,350 resources will be allocated for restoration work in the affected areas. 1,300 of these resources were provided by neighboring utilities in Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma.
During the storm, customers were asked to call the AEP Customer Solutions Center only to report drowned power lines and other situations that could pose a security threat. AEP Texas urges people not to touch anything that comes into contact with fallen lines such as trees, fences, or stagnant water. Call 1-866-223-8508 to report a power outage or power survey.
Residents can follow the progress of the restoration work by visiting the failure area at www.aeptexas.com.
Look back for updates on this developing story.