Nueces County's order to ban vehicles on Corpus Christi, Port A has expired and curfew remains

SAN ANTONIO – The beaches in Nueces County have reopened to vehicles as an order to contain the spread of COVID-19 has expired.

Nueces county judge Barbara Canales said Friday that the order closing vehicle access points on the county’s beaches will end on Monday, according to multiple reports.

Golf carts and off-road vehicles were also not allowed under the temporary ban.

COVID-19 cases top 44,000 in San Antonio, Bexar County

However, the curfew that has been put in place will remain in place from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., according to the Corpus Christi Caller-Times.

display

The newspaper reported that the changed layout will restrict access to areas of beaches that were damaged by Hurricane Hanna. A 7-mile beach cleanup is underway, according to KIII News.

The order was issued in July when the county asked tourists to stay home for social distancing purposes. It was extended on July 31st.

Mayor of Port Aransas: The city is no longer enforcing the order to close the beach

During Friday’s COVID-19 briefing, Canales said she believes “the beach rules helped smooth the curve and I believe they helped save lives”.

Last week, Port Aransas Mayor Charles Bujan said the city could no longer afford to implement the closure. He said enforcement of the order “consumed all of our overtime budgets” by providing 24-hour policing.

Copyright 2020 by KSAT – All rights reserved.