Several Texas area codes (361, 254, 409, 806, 830, 915, and 940) have numbers with the prefix 988. These ranges must change from a seven-digit to a ten-digit dial
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – The Corpus Christi area code, 361, is one of seven Texas area codes soon to be converted to 10-digit localization instead of standard 7-digit dialing.
The Texas Public Utility Commission said the 10-digit election will go into effect in our region on April 24th. This comes after the FCC set 988 as the abbreviated area code for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
Since several Texas area codes (361, 254, 409, 806, 830, 915, and 940) have numbers with a 988 prefix, these areas must move from a seven-digit to a ten-digit location.
April 24th marks the beginning of a “permitted dialing period” during which callers in these area codes can still complete a call with a seven-digit dial. If this period expires on October 24th, only ten digit calls will be connected.
After the permitted dialing period, local calls with only seven digits reach a recording in which they are asked to hang up and dial again with the area code with the seven-digit telephone number.
What will change?
Anyone who needs to reprogram their alarm and home security equipment must act during the voting period from April 24th to October 24th to avoid disrupting these services.
Some examples of services that may need to be reprogrammed are:
- Life safety systems or medical monitoring devices
- Fax machines
- Internet access numbers
- Fire or burglar alarm and security systems or gates
- Speed dial numbers
- Contact lists for cell phones or other cell phones
- Call forwarding settings
- Voicemail services and other similar functions
- Customers should also ensure that the area code is included in all other places where a phone number is displayed, e.g. On their websites, personal and business stationery, promotional materials, personal and business checks, and even personal or pet ID tags.
What stays the same
• Phone numbers, including the current area code, do not change. • The price of a call, coverage area, or other tariffs and services will not change due to the change in choice
• What is now a local call remains a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed
• Customers continue to dial 1+ area code + phone number for all long distance calls
• Customers will continue to dial a prefix (such as “9”) when dialing from a multi-line phone (such as in a hotel, office building, etc.) as needed
• Customers can still only dial three digits to reach 711 (Relay Services) and 911 (Emergency Services). • If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, or 811 are currently available in their own community, they can still be dialed using just three digits
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can also be reached after the 988 code becomes effective by dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Starting July 16, 2022, dialing 988 will route calls to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Customers must still dial 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) to reach the lifeline by July 16, 2022.
For more information, see the North American Numbering Plan Administrator (NANPA) website or the FCC website at https://www.fcc.gov/suicide-prevention-hotline.